Animals and Pets

Pets are welcome in the Shire of Katanning, and by observing a few guidelines and working with the Shire of Katanning, you can enjoy your pets safely and securely. In an effort to maintain the amenity of the area, the Shire has local laws controlling the keeping of animals, birds and poultry within the townsite. If you wish to keep animals from cats and dogs to horses and camels; or poultry and birds from pigeons to emus, please Contact Us for more information.

Registering your dog

Registering and microchipping your dog is compulsory and the following rules set out in the Dog Act must be followed:

  • Register your dog with the Shire of Katanning after it is 3 months old and keep it registered.
  • Attach the registration tag and a name tag with your name, address and phone number to your dog’s collar.
  • When outside your own property, keep your dog on a leash at all times.
  • Pick up after your dog if it defecates on the footpath or verge.
  • Greyhounds must be muzzled at all times when outside their property and you may only have two under your control in a public place.

Dogs can be registered at the Shire Administration Office. 

Cost of Registration



1 year $50 $20
1 year (Pensioner/Concession) $25 $10
3 years $120 $42.50
3 years (Pensioner/Concession) $60 $21.25
Lifetime $250 $100
Lifetime (Pensioner/Concession) $125 $50

Dangerous dogs

The following dog breeds are deemed to be dangerous:

  • Argentinian fighting dogs
  • Brazilian fighting dogs
  • Japanese tosas
  • American pit bull terriers
  • Pit bull terrier breeds
  • Any dog of a mixed breed that visibly contains any of the above named breeds

Owners of Dangerous Dogs MUST:

  • Display the dangerous dog sign on all entrances to their property
  • Have a dangerous dog collar on their animal at all times
  • Muzzle and leash dogs when outside the property
  • Be over 18 years of age

Dangerous dog collars and signs are available for purchase from the Shire Administration Office

Off leash areas

In off leash areas your dog must be kept under control and not be allowed to wander off on its own.

  • Piesse Park
  • Thomson Park
  • O'Callaghan Park
  • Baldwin Park
  • Reserve at top of Braeside Road


The Shire of Katanning may seize dogs found in public places and not held on a leash.

The Ranger may enter private property to seize a dog which has been wandering at large.

Dogs can be destroyed if unable to be caught or involved in an attack.

Fines and penalties

On the spot fines

Fail to register a dog $200
Fail to microchip a dog $200
Dog not wearing a collar with registration tag $200
Dog not held or tethered in certain public places $200
Keeping more than two dogs $200
Dog in a place without consent $200
Dog attack not causing physical injury $200
Dog attack causing physical injury $400
Fail to comply with nuisance order $200
Fail to give name, address and date of birth $200

Offences and maximum penalties

Fail to microchip a dog $5,000
Keeping more than two dogs $5,000
Fail to register a dog $5,000
Dog not wearing a collar with registration tag $5,000
Dog not held or tethered in a public place $5,000
Dog attack not causing physical injury $3,000
Dog attack causing physical injury $10,000
Allow a dog to cause a nuisance (barking) $5,000
Deliberately setting a dog to attack $10,000 and imprisonment for 12 months

Penalties and Fees

Seizure and impounding of a registered dog $63.50
Seizure and impounding of an unregistered dog $84.00
Sustenance and maintenance of a dog in the pound $25.50/day or part thereof
Destruction of a dog $51.00

Attacked by a dog

If your dog attacks a person or animal, then you may be responsible for any injury or damage caused. If your dog has attacked outside your property you may:

  • Be ordered to take additional steps to control your dog (such as fencing your property effectively)
  • Have your dog declared 'dangerous'. If this occurs, your dog must be restrained when on your own land, you must erect clearly visible 'Warning Dangerous Dog' signs outside your property and leash you dog at all times outside your property.
  • Be ordered to have your dog destroyed.

Noise Control Act

This Act also applies to dogs. Under the Act, an owner may be fined if a dog makes excessive noise. If you have a problem with your pet's barking, please contact the Shire of Katanning or your local vet and seek advice on how to eliminate the problem.

Registering your cat

The Cat Act 2011 requires the identification, registration and sterilisation of domestic cats, and gives local governments the power to administer and enforce the legislation.  The following rules set out in the Cat Act require all cats that have reached 6 months of age to be:

  • Microchipped;
  • Sterilised; and
  • Registered with the relevant local government.
  • Cats will be required to wear a collar and registration tag to ensure that owned cats can be easily identified and returned to their owner.

Cats can be registered at the Shire Administration Office. 

Cost of registration


1 year $20
1 year (Pensioner/Concession) $10
3 years $42.50
3 years (Pensioner/Concession) $21.25
Lifetime $100
Lifetime (Pensioner/Concession) $50
Cat Breeding Approvals $100 per breeding cat per year plus above registration fee

Please note proof of sterilisation must be provided.

Cat Registration Frequently Asked Questions

For more information on the Cat Act 2011 & Responsible Cat Ownership please visit the Department of Local Government and Communities website.

Roosters, Geese, Turkeys, Peafowl and Gamebirds

1. An occupier of premises within the townsite shall not, without the written approval of the Council, keep or permit to be kept on those premises, any more than one of the following fowl:

a) a rooster
b) a goose or gander
c) a turkey
d) a peacock or peahen
e) a gamebird (includes emus and orstriches)

2. The Council may upon written application, grant approval with or without conditions to the owner or occupier of premises to keep any one or more birds as specified in subsection (1) of this section.

3. A person who has been granted approval under this Section to keep a bird may keep the bird on the premises only while he is the occupier thereof.

4. The Council may revoke an approval granted under this Section if it is of the opinion that the keeping of the birds specified in the approval is causing a nuisance or is injurious, offensive or dangerous to health.