Food premises

​​All food businesses and community groups engaging in the ​sale or provision of food, are subject to the requirements of the Food Act 2008 and Food Regulations 2009​. Namely, you will be required to complete a registration/notification process. The Act is the principle piece of legislation regulating the sale/provision of food in Western Australia and provides food safety regulation over the entire food supply chain; a paddock to plate approach. This represents a significant shift in the direction of food regulation and management within WA.

​Register your food premises

One of the critical requirements if you are selling prepared food to the public, is to register your food business by completing the registration form and paying the relevant application fee. Once we receive your registration, it will be assessed and if compliant, a certificate of registration will be issued. You only need to register once, but you are required to notify the Shire of any changes since your original application. An annual administration fee is payable by food businesses. Registration with the Shire will also enable you to trade at Shire approved events/markets (with the event/market manager’s approval).

Charitable community groups - notify us

If your charitable organisation (such as a nursing home) or community group (such as a school canteen run by the P & C) is providing food to the public, you need to complete the registration form. Once you notify us, we'll assess your application and if compliant, issue a certificate of notification. You may be exempt from all or some of the fees.

Traders permit

Trading other than at your registered premises or a Shire approved event/market requires a traders permit. The permit is in addition to your registration/notification under the Act. As an example, a mobile food van is required to register their food business and obtain a traders permit.

There are four types of traders permits:

​Form​When to use
​Temporary Food Stall Traders ​If you are not trading at a Shire approved event, use this form.
​Non-Food Stall Traders ​If you are not trading at a Shire approved event, use this form.
​Overarching Trade Permit ​Event Manager's use this to gain approval for all traders at a Shire approved event.
​Itinerant Food Traders ​If you are operating a mobile food vehicle outside of a Shire approved event.

Preparing food at home

Preparing food in residential premises for sale/provision to the public, requires the approval of the Shire. You will need to complete the registration form, pay the relevant application fee and ensure you comply with the Food Standards Code. For further information, refer to the above 'Register your food premises'.

Shire approval for home food businesses, will only be given for foods that are not potentially hazardous. Potentially hazardous foods​ means food that is capable of supporting rapid growth of infectious or toxigenic micro-organism (e.g. raw or cooked meat, poultry, seafood, egg or dairy based products and cooked rice).​

If the use of your home kitchen is a one-off for a fundraising event, you may wish to submit a temporary food application instead.

Constructing or renovating a food premises

If you are intending to build a new food premises, renovate an existing food premises or fit out an existing building to become a food premises, you will be required to complete an application form (as well as obtain standard planning & building consents). Once your premises are complete, you will need to complete the registration form prior to serving food.
For any queries regarding the sale or provision of prepared food to the public, please contact the Shire's Environmental Health department on 9821 9999 or at 
'image description'